subtitle

MY SENIOR CHALLENGES AND TRIUMPHS MOVING TO A NEW TOWN IN COLORADO!

Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Market visit

 Olathe Sweet Corn...right out of the fields. Still with all the husks on and packed in ice. Saturday at 10 am I joined several other consumers in picking up some to take home. One woman was going to purchase eight ears, at $1 each, and grill them, then freeze them.

So I got 3 ears. I can certainly try freezing without the grilling part...and will at least partially cook them first. 

Apparently this corn is grown in Colorado, and not shipped elsewhere, besides local groceries and farmer's markets.


This huge tent near the Durango Community Recreation Center held many things I was wanting. Fresh tomatoes. Green beans, garlic, Mexican avocados (at $3.50 each - sure!) and little yellow potatoes! There was even wildflower honey available. It's my go-to honey, to maybe reduce some of my allergies, by picking up some of the pollen through the process sister bees have provided...thus building my own immunity to local wildflowers.

The prices were staggering however. I deferred from purchasing a home baked apple pie at $27. I might want that in a few weeks however. For now I'm thrilled to have a great green bean and yellow potato casserole recipe that I haven't fixed for ages. 

They may not be here much longer though, the sign says season ending mid-September!





AND I discovered a new soft drink. Boulder Birch Beer! It was worth the $3. It might replace my other favorite, Reed's Jamaican Beer. 


The bottom line was that I brought all this home, walking down the hallway with my trusty cart, being completely out of breath, and finally sat down to finish my drink!

I can't wait to taste the heirloom tomatoes. Sliced next to my left-over chicken thighs and Jasmine rice.

-----------------

I did notice the people that Saturday were friendly as I walked around the Farmer's Market...as well as around the apartment building. Smiles and some hi's, and even comments about my little cart that I pull around. A plus!

------------------

The lobby of Common Spirit Hospital in Durango - where my pulmonologist's office is located

-------------------

Another soul has gone on to the other side of this life, at 92, Wendell Berry. 



------------------


 Repost from August 15, 2026 another Saturday!

I like watercolors of cats... by Elena Wuest, The Tangerine Hour. This may not be a watercolor. I've added a YouTube at the bottom of this post of more of her art.





I love when the temperatures drop after midnight and I can open the windows. The first few weeks I lived here it got to 100 most afternoons!


"Caws for Concern" last Saturday was International Day of the Cat!


----------------




The owners of this property have fenced off their garden area...but the deer enjoy the leaves on their trees, thus there aren't any lower than the reach of the hungry critters.

--------------------

Groceries (and gas) cost more in Durango than they did in Black Mountain NC. So rather than paying $7 for a loaf of mixed grain bread, I baked some. I found my dried buttermilk which was packed in a U-Haul truck had baked into a hard cake of something inedible, so I just used water instead. My bread was kind of thrown together without a recipe, but it is tasty.



I found some more Elena Wuest paintings on this YouTube. No more cats though! 


----------------

End of repost

Now you are welcome to comment...

22 comments:

  1. Good to have a farmer's market nearby. I love ours. They do tend to be more expensive but I guess we pay for the quality and fewer 'air miles'. I was sad to read of Wendell Berry's death; I love what I've read of his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In NC the Tailgate Market in Black Mountain usually stayed open Saturday mornings until the week before Thanksgiving. I will check on the one in downtown in the bank parking lot next.

      Delete
  2. ...corn at $1 per ear sounds a bit pricey to me. We had great corn last that cost 39 cents. It looks like you are settleing in well. Be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought some for 35 cents at a major grocery store...it wasn't that big compared to this. But big isn't always better with corn.

      Delete
  3. Corn is a $1/ear around here at the different farms, but there's nothing like the taste when it was recently picked. It's one of my summer indulgences. Enjoy all of your goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the taste of sweet corn on the cob...the fresher the better...but it can keep for a while. I've been shucking it, wrapping it in wax paper and microwaving it for years. But I haven't quite gotten used to this more powerful microwave yet. Things get hotter on the outside but not all the way through.

      Delete
  4. Save your money on the local wildflower honey. The pollen bees collect to make the honey is generally not from the seasonal grasses and things that cause most allergies.
    Twenty seven dollars for an apple pie? Seriously? That must be a mighty good pie.
    I sure wish my tomatoes had done better this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your tomatoes. I guess you're right that many of my allergies were grasses, but I was last tested in NC maybe 15 years ago. Obviously there are different things here to get used to...all the way around!

      Delete
  5. You are getting about. We have only had good corn on the cob once this season. Time for another soon but birthday pizza today. We have found an excellent way to do it in the microwave — in the husks which slide right off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried in the husks, but the little "hairs" were harder to get off once it was cooked...maybe I'll do it that way again with my last ear. The wax paper method didn't quite cook it enough I don't think. Tasted good, but my gut complained.

      Delete
  6. Our fall market is about to start up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you didn't have any damage from recent storm.

      Delete
  7. It all looks really good! That corn reminds me of when I was a kid and had to shuck corn on my grandmother's back porch all day. It was either that or shell peas. She had a huge garden (actually a field) in South Georgia. Lots of work, but really good eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you have really been a farmer's daughter (er granddaughter!)

      Delete
  8. That's a short growing season. Ours goes into November. But we're much nearer sea level.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The prices in our rural area are much less. We have lots of local farms competing at farm markets and farm stands. The price ranges from $5-$7 a dozen. People have their favorite growers and might pay more there. One of my former 4-Her (now married and a mom) is selling corn from their farm that she took off the cob and froze in 3 cup bags. She charges $3 a bag up to a dozen bags - if you take a dozen they are only $2 each. I am trying to decide if I have the freezer space and if I am that lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'd love purchasing bags of corn...since I cut mine off the cob after cooking it, so I don't damage my weak old teeth biting into it. Is it cooked before being bagged?

      Delete
  10. Your haul from the market looks marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There are some things I've enjoyed already, but I'm afraid I have felt low-energy sometimes, and then I don't feel like doing prep or cooking. Produce has to suffer when that happens.

      Delete
  11. I am so happy for you! You seem to be doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Tonight I finally ate one of the tomatoes, purchased Saturday, it's now Wednesday. I just haven't felt energized enough to prep or cook the produce...sad about that. It's much easier to write a blog, actually!

      Delete

I invite comments, and please be prepared for replies (you may have to check back later to see what I've said) thus this becomes a conversation.

The campers, the mums and the homes

  These people are just so wonderful to be related to. Kendra and Tai. They're going back country camping again this next weekend. And I...