Sunday afternoon my son and wife returned from their night out in the Canyon of the Ancients...or a side canyon actually. I got my hugs and packed the car and headed home. With intentions to take some photos of the trip going east this time.
I have many more than one post can handle. So here are the first dozen or so. Maybe that's a reasonable number?
The east side of Cortez shows the backside (north) of Mesa Verde's mesa.
...and the San Juan mountains which promise the drive to Durango will gain in elevation.
Mile Marker 49. Probably from the border with New Mexico.
The Mancos River. Most roads in mountain areas follow where water flows, and thus towns were also built around streams and rivers.
Slowing down on the outskirts of Mancos
As I began the first climb, some motorcyclists were approaching Mancos who had come to the Four Corners Rally for the long weekend. They were insistent in Durango starting on Thursday night...so I left for the next 2 nights.
The extra passing lane is provided on the slopes as they climb, and I sure needed it, to huddle at 50 mph on the 70 mph highway. I could push my Toyota to climb faster, but chose to save the gas.
As you can see, that afternoon was overcast.
Cortez elevation is 6,119 feet above sea level, while Durango is 6,532. That 413 feet difference isn't that bad, over a distance of 47 miles. However the drive on Hwy 160 includes going over a couple of mountain passes, which are probably higher elevation. My ears popped.
More next time, as I finally get back to Durango!
--------------------
Put 3 cups of flour, a cup of water, a 1/4 cup of butter, yeast and salt in the bread machine and set it for quick mix, and got this lovely white loaf. It may not be a French pastry (which I've been talking about) but it is going to be wonderful with some marmalade for breakfast.
-----------------
Woke up dreaming a romantic dream, a sweet man was driving me along taking me out to dinner, which I hadn't been given notice of. I said "No, I really needed help cleaning the apartment." He proceeded to back up the car to many blocks earlier, like the beginning of the dream. And I kept saying I just needed help cleaning the apartment.
Truer words have never been spoken!
---------------
Stay away
from negative people.
They have a problem
for every solution
Albert Einstein
...not as lush as Black Mountain, but still plenty of beautiful scenery to enjoy.
ReplyDeleteIt has a different feel definitely. But once you're in the mountains, it's really hard to figure out where the road is going to go next.
DeleteThat dream- oh yes.
ReplyDelete