subtitle

MY SENIOR ADVENTURES IN DURANGO, COLORADO! The Animas River in Durango after several days of rain.

Saturday, October 3, 2026

Earth - the element to consider for Sepia Saturday

 A earthy home as the suggested meme for this week. But I've shared some sod houses before on Sepia Saturday. So today I wish to look at the rocks of the earth, which have been the source of livelihood for the area in the Rocky Mountains where I now life.





Another earth material, clay, provided me with the medium with which to make pottery.

The history of mines around Silverton Colorado is told very well in this post in Legends of America "Silverton, Colorado - High in the San Juans."


Abandoned-mine-Silverton Colorado

Shenandoah-Dives-mine-Silverton-CO-ca1935

Old Hundred Gold Mine Silverton CO


Silverton-Colorado-the-remains-of-the-Yankee-Girl-silver-mine


abandoned-mining-buildings-at-silverton-colorado



--------------------

Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of the birds, the ebb and flow of the tides, the folded bud ready for spring. There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature — the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.
- Rachel Carson, The Sense of Wonder

12 comments:

  1. And let's not forget that the earth is the source of our food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mining -- such hard and dangerous work for those who extract the minerals. So profitable for those who own the mines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that mountains have minerals...I wonder if the flatter parts of the world do as well, but we just don't know how to find them. After all oil has been found in flat places.

      Delete
  3. I did some oral history recordings in Alaska with some miners. Very hard and dangerous work. The miners were in their 80s when I recorded them and shared some of their stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a dangerous job, and some places still are.

      Delete
  4. You are mining a lot of local material. Are you happy there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so. Not sure what my happy gauge is these days. Satisfied, yes.

      Delete
  5. The old mine buildings are intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great history here. Um, there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mostly just want to say I adore your bowl!

    ReplyDelete

If you wish, please feel free to comment. I usually answer whatever you might have to say. Commercial comments will not be posted.

Rain helps and some local excitement

From the Durango Herald - a newspaper which I subscribe to, but only find articles on FaceBook. Need to figure out how to get the whole pape...