subtitle

MY SENIOR ADVENTURES IN DURANGO, COLORADO!

Thursday, September 24, 2026

Looking around Durango


The first sculpture I found on 2nd Avenue. The building on the corner behind it is the Durango Art Center (more on it in another post.)

And here is Puck.



I finally attended the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Durango.


I enjoyed the sermon by Rev. Jamie Boyce,  as well as the music by the choir, now known as the Diversitones.


---------------------


 
Interesting sculpture near the banks of the Animas River.





Not sure of the name of the hotel on that corner, and I just noticed it even has a mural painted on the side. Must go back and capture a photo of it.

Main Avenue is one of the best shopping opportunities for tourists...as I  waited for the car ahead of me who waited for a pedestrian. The laws are observed giving pedestrians right of way, but with all the tourists in town, it's sometimes something they have to gradually learn! But many of them still ride the bumper of a car (like mine) which is slowly moving while looking at things.

I remember last year enjoying ice cream in that sidewalk area with my son and daughter-in-law. Need to go back there while it's still warm out during the days. (Down to the 40s at night already!)

These sidewalk eateries are a carryover from the pandemic, when people didn't want to be close to each other but still wanted to eat out...so cities all over the country (the world I wonder?) closed areas on the streets where restaurants could set up outdoor venues. Smart ones still have them, though I do miss having the parking places.

----------------------

Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind.

LIONEL HAMPTON






8 comments:

  1. Our first pandemic restaurant outing was to a patio along the river. We have a couple of street-side patios, but we aren’t keen to try them with cars going by. They will be put away for winter soon although the temperature will rise to moderately nice today after descending to 4C last night, which is 39 to you. Still no frost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You live in a picturesque town. It looks like you are enjoying exploring your new place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Durango looks a bit like Black Mountain, but at a higher altitude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I do love the UUs! And of course a UU choir would be named "The Diversitones," LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think those outside eating areas are a real boon to towns. The restaurants have to pay the city rent for the areas. One of the restaurants in a town north of us chose not to rent the entire block of a street - or maybe the town didn't give them the option because it meant closing the street.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a fine town. Lovely old buildings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the statues! Durango is a very interesting place. So glad you are getting out and about, hopefully meeting new people to become friends with. Do you have the song "Getting to Know You" going through your head?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you've managed to get out and about to discover your new town

    ReplyDelete

If you wish, please feel free to comment. I usually answer whatever you might have to say. Commercial comments will not be posted.

Looking around Durango

The first sculpture I found on 2nd Avenue. The building on the corner behind it is the Durango Art Center (more on it in another post.) And ...