subtitle

MY SENIOR ADVENTURES IN DURANGO, COLORADO!

Monday, August 24, 2026

A day in the life of a Towny - Part one of two

   Durango. Colorado. USA Friday, August 21, 2026


Brightness at pre-dawn. Some sweet rose streaks of clouds over the "real mountains" in the distance. But a bit of haze on the farthest peaks. Then BAM! The nearby cliffs are blasted with pure sunlight. Which then streams in my open windows.

I stretch, and start putting on lightweight layers. A lavender pashmina. Blue cotton socks. My favorite long blue variegated cotton skirt. 

Unplug the oxygen from the C-Pap machine, and set it up for later using with the canula. For now I wish to just breath the pure mountain air. I don't care if my O-2 blood saturation goes down a bit. This is what I moved here for, and I love each deep breath. So far no coughing. I think that might be a good thing. But with chronic bronchiectasis, coughing is good, clearing out my lungs so they work better.

Fix a first cup of Americano. Love that taste of honey after I have stirred it into the dark liquid, and I lick the spoon, as they say, but really just put the whole scoop of it in my mouth. The edges seem to hold a bit of honey on them. Then there's the first sip of coffee. What a delightful bean. My body responds as I walk over to the computer and fire it up. Thus starts another Thursday in Durango.

Geese who I don't yet know (all brown) as well as ducks (none in vee formations) flew up the valley along the waterway. The sounds of geese are similar to their Canada brothers, but they had no white on them. And evenings I see the bats fly from above my head, where they must nest in some openings in the walls near the rooftop. Some mornings I see them returning at dawn, but this morning I'm too late.

I write a few emails. I read a few blogs. I check on the real news in newsletters and in between ads on FaceBook. I don't read much of this, preferring to leave the world beyond this valley somewhat unknown, assumed to be still there, still in crisis, and not something I wish to drink-in with my first cup of Joe.

I start to write this. I'll come back throughout the day and add bits, I intend.

-------------

Now I'm fading fast, going down for a nap in a few minutes.

Picked up yesterday's mail...a sweet card from my oldest son and his family.

Couldn't get out of the parking lot due to a deer munching at the end of the alley...right next to the busy road. If I drove near her, she might flee into traffic. But she was visible from the street, and eventually moved slowly across the two lanes of traffic. Whew.




Nobody but myself noticed her munching away.



Please don't jump now!

She seemed used to the huge machines, which slowed down but didn't stop. 
-----------------

I drove first to the new doctor's office, where I have an appointment on Monday. I signed a consent form they can fax to the office of my former primary doctor. I may have waited too late to have the information available when I see the new doc.

Then to the UPS store and turned in my old Spectrum modem. 

Next I found a parking place where the meter already had some time on it at the Methodist Thrift Store. Didn't see anything I needed inside though. Found the city hall was just across the street, and the police station right next door on E. Second Ave.



Then wandered around looking for a possible new bank, then figured my problem was it had west as part of its address, while I was still looking in east part of town. It's very small, the downtown area. 

To be continued...


Sharing with Saturday's Critters (a bit late!)



18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Definitely now. I have concrete all around, not to mention people, dogs, businesses, and homes.

      Delete
  2. You are getting this thing all figured out! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to start your mornings! I love seeing the deer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deer are apparently quiet used to being around cars and people, and most of the people and cars just ignore them as well!

      Delete
    2. quite, not that they're not also quiet!

      Delete
  4. A great start to a busy day! You are finding your path. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten into the habit (not bad with summertime weather at least) of going out early before noon.

      Delete
  5. A deer in town. I like it.
    Are the days getting cooler?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, nights are downright sweater weather. When I went out at 8:30 am today it was quite chilly. But it still gets to mid 80s F in the afternoon.

      Delete
  6. Finding all the important places is a great start. The deer looks like it is enjoying munching away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waking up to sunrise over the mountains sounds like a wonderful way to start your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really wonderful. I love seeing the different sky conditions, and how the sun changes the views of the mountains. And even during the day its fun to watch the town going about its business, like a small model town only with real people in it.

      Delete
  8. Hello Barb
    It is great you are getting out and learning more about your new town. The views of the mountains are beautiful. I love the deer, we see them here often on the way to dialysis. I hope they stay safe near the roads and traffic. I hope all goes well with your new doctor and appointment. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen...in case you ever read my replies. I thank you for your frequent comments on my blogs.

      Delete
  9. Gosh, I'm surprised to see the deer so close to traffic. I guess they must be used to it.

    ReplyDelete

If you wish, please feel free to comment. I usually answer whatever you might have to say. Commercial comments will not be posted.

The river runs by

  A block from my apartment is this little park on the Animas River. Familiar views, but on a different day. I was actually eating my lunch ...