subtitle

MY SENIOR CHALLENGES AND TRIUMPHS IN DURANGO, COLORADO!

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Welcoming clouds

 Monday morning early (before dawn sometime) there were some showers in Durango.

And then thunder a few times in the morning, with another spat of rain...and the ability to have the windows open with higher humidity eventually going down from 92% at dawn to around 55% at noon. Some sunshine helping. 

And fun shadows on the huge walls of rock outside my windows!

I used to love watching cloud shadows as they crossed the slopes of the Appalachian Mountains. It's almost as much fun as trying to imagine the bunnies and bears I used to see in cloud-scapes as a kid.

Here it's fun to see how one area is hit by bright sun, while others remain as shadows.


Hogsback ridge is seen to have streaks of rocks in it's gullies. Hawksbill (a bit further away) has trees u on the top of it.


After a very late 8 am train, this engine went before the 9 o'clock train on Monday morning. Apparently the railroad is an active business, though they only transport tourists up to Silverton and back.

Monday's 9 am train passed by at 9:32


Here Hogsback Ridge and Hawksbill blend together in the shadows.

-----------------------


In some circumstances, the refusal to be defeated is a refusal to be educated.
 -Margaret Halsey, novelist (1910-1997)

--------------------
And on a personal note, an afternoon thunderstorm did come roaring through Monday, with about 4 minutes of hail. Before that, the electricity cut off, and I had been about to fall asleep with the C-Pap and oxygen. Both machines stopped. I figured I'd be ok for a while. And fortunately I didn't panic when I realized the elevators were also not running. After half an hour the elec. came back on. And the temperature outside plummeted, so windows were thrown open again!

20 comments:

  1. Hello, Barb
    Love your views of the mountains and the train! I am glad the power came back on and you had some cooler weather, it is nice to be able to open the windows for fresh air. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning to you Eileen! This weather has been what I love about September...except here with drought longstanding a good rain is much appreciated. Not complaining.

      Delete
  2. Now to cut a hole in that screen. lol
    Kidding. It’s fine.
    Enjoy the fresh air.
    And the electricity too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...I am sorry these photos from my little cage have the screen patterns all over them. After the rain perhaps the window themselves will be clean enough I can take some shots through the glass.

      Delete
  3. ...the weather can change on a dime in your new neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I heard another thunder storm off in the distance while lying in bed last night, and my windows were cracked. Before I knew it the storm was here and rain was pounding against the windows...and I wiped rain off the sills. This morning's task was to clear out the tracks of the windows from the soot. Apparently those cute trains do leave some wonderful black soot and it accumulates in the tracks of the windows. I'll be closing them whenever the 6 daily trains go by now.

      Delete
  4. I never considered you need electricity for your oxygen. No battery backup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a portable battery powered unit which I carry with me when I go out. So I don't have any tanks at all. May rethink that if the power situation is something to consider...and/or if I continue to need the 02.

      Delete
  5. Does your new home not have a generator? I would think that's almost a requirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea...certainly nobody told me about any. I will ask the landlady. Perhaps the hallways do, but I didn't go look. I only read the signs on elevators which say in case of fire to use the stairs.

      Delete
  6. Hogback and Hawksbill are beginning to feel like old friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, and I enjoy seeing more details as I look at them at different times of day.

      Delete
  7. I love seeing their different moods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have a back up battery for oxygen? I see someone above asked the same question. Find out if the elevators will work without electricity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a rechargeable battery-operated portable oxygen generator. No tanks.

      Delete
  9. I don't like the sounds of that power outage. I hope that is not something that happens frequently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The land lady says it's only the second time since she's worked her (5 years) but I have heard her use the same phrase for something else, so kind of wonder how true it is.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Having lived through the aftermath of Hurricane Helene in Black Mountain, I'm almost prepared for such to happen. Almost. Not possible to stay in my apartment without elec. to run the C-Pap or Oxygen...but also very difficult to get those machines down the stairs. This half hour outage was not that bad (3 days in NC before leaving town to stay with friends and relatives.)

      Delete

Yay comments has been fixed as of Sept 5!

Hope to enjoy the show

 A week of rain and cooler temperatures...off and on for the rain. A big arts festival this coming weekend. https://durangoarts.org/wp-conte...