Hurricane Helene devastated western North Carolina Sept. 27, 2024
Gaia (mother earth) is going through the climate crisis. It is not just one storm. It is not just one season of El Nino.
What is most interesting is being an observer...one of the people who have watched this happening over several years (a decade?)
And seeing what happens whenever people have to deal with a climate crisis. In person. Together. Reaching out to help one another!
Again and again.
What would you do? You never know for sure.
But the stories of helpers aren't just fabrications.
Rev. Fred Rogers, of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood was right, look for the helpers.
Ole' Guacamole's Restaurant flooded by Flat Creek in Black Mountain
AmeriCorps Volunteers taking FEMA applications at the Swannanoa Library in mid-October. On the other side of the room were shelves of food free to take home for the applicants.
More supplies were delivered...drinking water was a first priority.
--------------------
What did I learn after Hurricane Helene? By Beloved Asheville Love in action, FB group
I learned that political divisions fade when the only hands we have are the hands of our neighbors, when the only hope we have is the strength of our community. 

What did I learn after Hurricane Helene?
I learned that possessions can be swept away in a moment, but every survivor repeats the same truth: life, family, and love are what truly matter. Everything else can be rebuilt. 

What did I learn after Hurricane Helene?
I learned that strangers will risk their lives for friends they have not yet met, without hesitation, proving that human compassion runs deeper than fear. 

What did I learn after Hurricane Helene?
I learned that in the midst of destruction, even the smallest act of kindness can light up someone’s entire world—a meal, a blanket, a word of comfort, a hand held in the dark. 

What did I learn after Hurricane Helene?
I learned that the world we dream of—a world where love for our neighbor is our daily practice—is not a utopia. It is real. We lived it. Something within us synchronized, vibrating with Radical Love, reminding us that unity is not an idea, but a living truth. 

One year later, the storm is behind us, but its lessons remain. If we carry them forward, we do more than rebuild homes—we rebuild hope, community, and humanity itself. Together, we heal. Together, we rise
---------------
There were also blankets, sleeping bags and clothes. A National Guardsman may have been asked to keep people from taking more than they needed, or just to give a sense of security. He wouldn't say.
Emergency services dealt with trees that had fallen from wind and days of wet saturation of the ground. This is Montreat Rd. in Black Mountain, where I drove to see how my friend Teresa and her husband were doing. They were fine though a limb of a tree had come down on their roof.
Free hot meals were distributed in several locations in town. This was after I returned to town - having to evacuate for 10 days myself. I had to leave when there was no electricity so that I could use my breathing equipment...and was so grateful to cousin John who took me in, and friend Martha who made my visit feel like a vacation.
Sharing with Thankful Thursday (if it's still open)
------------
Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote.
-George Jean Nathan, author and editor (1882-1958)
-------------------
More pottery from the Durango Autumn Arts Festival
Brianna Kramer came from Pagosa Springs CO with her mid-range (cone 6) stoneware. It was the closest to what I would usually see in North Carolina festivals.








Terrible times can bring out the best in people -- our true natures, I'd like to think.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it sad that we walk around with fake smiles when we happen to look at another person, then back to the screens...without any interest really in each other's well-being...until there's a crisis.
DeleteHurricane Helene did so much damage, a scary reminder.
ReplyDeleteI love all the pottery, so many pretty pieces.
Happy Sunday, have a wonderful week!
Thanks...I hope your week ahead is also wonderful for you and your loved ones.
Delete...those picture of the flooding are heart breaking, but pottery is a delight to see. When it comes to your header, bigger is better.
ReplyDeleteI have no idea why the layout changed to this silly width for the header. I'm trying to cope with all the glitches here...and not complain too much!
DeleteTwo years ago. There must be people who are still dealing with the aftermath.
ReplyDeleteBlogger is a mess. Some blogs are updated but others are not. I specified 4 posts per page and it's only doing one. Sometimes it posts a photo and other times not.
There sure are people who have had to build from the ground up, or make new drainage and roads to their homes. The town of Chimney Rock was pretty much wiped out, as well as Lake Lure which received all the debris from Chimney Rock...but both are back in business now. They are hoping tourists will visit again. Blogger is so sad these days. Another opportunity where us real people can support each other while the world is not doing so well.
DeleteIt is a flat-out miracle that Asheville, Black Mountain, and other surrounding areas were able to come back from Helene. Clean up, rebuild, clear land of fallen trees and rock slides... all of it.
ReplyDeleteAnd of course, the miracle came from the people who decided it could be done.